Updates & Reminders
ArtWalk 2.0 Launch Event
Join us at a VIP evening under the stars as we officially unveil ArtWalk 2.0. Be the first to experience the new AR art pieces, and learn about the impact of outdoor public art in building vibrancy and a sense of community within the urban environment.
Date: Wednesday, August 30, 2023
Time: 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM
Place: Roy Thomson Hall, lower outdoor patio (underground parking available)
Grand unveiling and walking tour of three AR art pieces led by notable Toronto architect Joël León providing rich historical story-telling of the downtown west. Cocktails and catering from Lobster Burger Bar.
Access to Restrooms for Delivery Drivers
The BIA has been notified that a number of complaints have been lodged by food delivery drivers that premises they are picking up from do not allow them to use the bathroom facilities. This is a soft touch request by the ministry to let folks know that drivers can in fact be interpreted as employees. Some city councillors have also been informed of this concern from a health perspective. We recommend implementing a policy that would allow delivery drivers access to the facilities.
Winterlicious 2024 Applications Now Open
The City of Toronto’s popular Winterlicious program is returning January 26, 2024. Restaurants interested in participating need to submit their applications for eligibility before the deadline on or before August 24, 2023.
Invitation for the Roundtable Discussion
BIA members are invited to join a Small Business Forum Roundtable Discussion with NDP Small Business Critic MPP Kristyn Wong-Tam, and Aaron Binder from the Better Way Alliance.
Date: Monday, August 28
Time: 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Small businesses create thriving main streets – but what happens when commercial rent goes up by 30% or more? It’s time for a fairer main street economy so small businesses can thrive.
During our roundtable, we want your feedback on our ideas for commercial rent reform. We will be discussing:
- Implementing a standard commercial lease
- Commercial rent control so there’s a cap on how much the rent can be raised between tenancies
- Creating a dispute resolution mechanism like a Commercial Tenant Board
Road Closure Updates & Event Notices
Date: August 20, 2023
Location: See Map
- Traveling southbound on Bay St to King St W
- Westbound on King St W to University Ave
- Northbound on University Ave to Queen St W
Date: August 24 – 27, 2023
Location: Curb Lane Closures
- Front St (south curb lane), from Lower Simcoe St to John St
- Lower Simcoe St (west curb lane), from Intercentennial Dr to Bremner Blvd
- Bremner Blvd (north curb lane), from Lower Simcoe St to Ceremonial Dr
Date: September 18 – 21, 2023
Location: Curb Lane Closures
- Front St W (south curb lane), from John St to Lower Simcoe
- Bremner Blvd (north curb lane), from Lower Simcoe to Rees St